Thursday, January 18, 2007

Xbox Live for Free?

It appears someone has found a way to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold without paying a single dime. The user 'thedalmeny' shows he is subscribed to Gold via the one month trial that ships with all new 360's, although exactly how he does it still remains a mystery.

'Thedalmeny' has reported the bug to Microsoft in order to minimize future exploiting of this hack. It also appears Microsoft threatened legal action had he gone public with the glitch. "As far as I know from developers this is the first time this has happened, especially as I can still play online with the Xbox 360 where it should be reseting my account to expired when i log into the Xbox Live services."

Many users on Digg report similar bugs, including adamnikyo. "I called to cancel my Live account so as not to be charged in the meantime. The guy on the phone was really confused. He said my account looked different from any account he'd seen before. He said my account had no expiration date, which was wrong. I told him it was probably because I was a beta tester. I wanted to tell him 'nevermind, don't cancel it', but I knew it was too late. The guy said if I hadn't drawn attention to it, I probably would've had Xbox live for free forever."

It appears this really is a widespread problem, although never has an exploit to this extent been shown. Hopefully Microsoft does a good job of cleaning up before the inevitable release of how this glitch is performed. Godspeed, Microsoft.

No comments: