Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sony eats Nintendo's Dust

Over the weekend, the Playstation 3 and the Nintendo Wii were both released, each completely selling out. Of course, the initial shipment of PS3's was only 400,000 or so, whereas the Wii shipped with an impressive million plus units. And so the console war has finally started, with Microsoft having an impressive lead so far.

Naturally, Sony has already screwed up. It turns out there's a fatal flaw in the core processing unit which requires Sony to recall 650,000 machines. Way to go Sony; you topped the annoying "disk read error" problem with the Playstation 2. Nintendo did a much better job with their first batch of consoles, although there were reports of firmware updates for the Wii that cause the system to stop working completely. Nintendo generally ships working consoles when they launch a new system (amazing concept, I know), and fortunately this problem has only occurred with a handful of units so far.

Right now, I'm fine with my Xbox 360. Gears of War will keep me occupied for months to come with many more notable releases (Lost Planet, what?). I'm also enjoying the "Nail the Trick" feature of Tony Hawk's Project 8. At first, I thought they were completely overhauling the game to be more realistic, since that seemed to be their main direction a few months back. Now that I think about it, they would've alienated a lot of people had they ditched the classic Tony Hawk game play. And really, who would want that?

I plan on picking up a Wii as soon as possible. I really think Nintendo is on to something. I'll think about a PS3 when I'm confident it won't break out me, when some more games comes out, and when it doesn't cost half a grand just for the watered-down version.

No comments: